Thursday 25 August 2011

Cheap and Simple Flavoured Salts.

Today I decided to make some salt rubs as a cheap and easy way to put a delicious splash of flavour and colour to many/any meals! Read on for the simple instructions.




First I made paprika salt:-

3 teaspoons paprika
1 tablespoon table salt
1 tablespoon ground rock salt


Then mix!


This is the easiest to make as all the ingredients are dry. This will make 3 tablespoons of paprika salt. To make it spicy paprika salt, just add some dried red chillies! This can be used as a rub on meats before cooking and also as a finishing salt on meats, poultry, seafood, eggs and ANY Spanish or Mexican food! Use sparingly.

Next, inspired by wholsefoodsmarket, I made Citrus Salt:-

2 tablespoons ground rock salt
3 tablespoons table salt
Rind of 1 orange
Rind of 1 lemon

Leave the rind on kitchen roll to dry out for a few minutes.


Mix it!


On the website they baked the salt, but it can be used immediately and instead I left it to air dry, spread thinly between two sheets of kitchen paper. The result was a lovely yellow citrus coloured salt baking wouldn't produce. Citrus salt is delicious seasoning on seafood, poultry, (better than a takeaways lemon chicken!) vegetables or even a finishing salt for your margaritas glass rims or tequila, depending on your tipple! This makes about 7 tablespoons of citrus salt. 

Lastly I tried making a chive salt:-

50grams fresh chives, chopped finely
3 tablespoons table salt
2 tablespoons rock ground salt
1 tablespoon ground black peppercorns

Leave chives to dry for a few minutes on kitchen roll or bake for ten minutes on 220 degrees (with salt if baking). Then mix together!

Chive salt may take a whole day to air dry, spread VERY thinly between kitchen roll to speed up the process (if you want the flavours to blend naturally). It can also be used immediately as a rub on chicken or pork, sprinkled on roast potatoes or in a stir fry. I used it as a finishing salt on my omelette and a tiny amount on my jacket potato with cottage cheese. Delicious!

The final three:-


Store all of these in airtight jars and since salt is a preservative the flavoured salts should last for ages! I am going to experiment and NOT refrigerate the salts as it would end up damp again. 


4 comments:

  1. I generally don't use salt, yes I know, most peeps do, but these look good to rub or sprinkle on the food before cooking, I'd imagine they would be good on your good ol' burgers at a barbi.
    The colours are great too and would look good on an open shelf. (why hide them in a cupboard)

    Jan :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool, I'll tag this so my husband can try them. I agree with Picto, above, they are very pretty. Glad I found you at Inspire Me Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I do love colourful things, even found some cute hexagon spice jars to store them in now! I realised it was time to give up on what was in the jar previously when they were dated '99. Uh Oh, my mother is such a hoarder. I love browsing the linky parties too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. they sound intriguing. i'm going to try making some.tfs

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...