Sunday 12 June 2011

Candle Recycling!

I had two candles in my room in big glass jars that I could no longer get my hand in to light, rather than throw them out I decided to make new ones.I didnt want to smash the jars as they have posh lids and are good quality so I think I can use for something else.


First I got new containers for the candle wax to be poured into, I chose a wide rimmed tumbler I had and a cute flower pot I got for 99p in a charity shop. Then I put the jars into a pans, filled the pans and heated on an electric hob.


Once the wax had melted I simply used a fork to pull out the wicks and attached them to the bottom of the new containers, held the wicks upright with the same forks and poured in the melted wax, leaving to harden.
A few small tips I found online/was given but didn't generally follow (tut tut): 

  •  Trim the burnt wicks before melting to stop the wax going a horrible colour (which I could reach to do but it didn't happen to my wax, luckily).
  • Gently heat the new containers to prevent cracking (Good quality containers and those built for heat resistance shouldn't crack though)
  • DO NOT MICROWAVE WAX (this one I definitely followed)
  • Make sure the pots are glazed if ceramic or else will soak up the wax and become flammable!!



I can't believe how easy it was. I just have to trim the wicks before I light them.
Next time Tea cup and saucer candles!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...